Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
How wonderful to reflect on some smiles today. I find that over the past couple days I've had lots of "those moments"...you all know what I mean. Moments where I feel lonely or discouraged for no apparent reason...just the "blahs". Sitting down to type up my smiles helps me to renew my attitude and recognize all that we are blessed with.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
i had the best of intentions of posting about my "pay it forward" before today...just didn't get around to it! but here it is....your chance to enter for the privilege of "paying it forward". what does this mean? well, the winners will receive a hand-made "something" from yours truly...i'm not exactly sure what that something will be...or when you will receive it...(i use the same promise fairlight (whose "pay it forward" i was a lucky winner of) did...you will get it before the year is over!--and hopefully LONG before that!). the catch...you in turn have to "pay it forward" to three other lucky winners. so how do you enter? simply leave a comment on this post (you must also be willing to eventually give me your address so i know where to send your little something) letting me know you want to enter. i will be randomly drawing three winners next saturday evening...so be sure to leave your comment before then. (for my family and friends who don't regularly leave comments...please, join in on the fun!--to leave a comment simply choose "anonymous" in the comment form (and be certain to leave your name so I know it is you!).
i do plan to be back and sharing pictures, posts, etc. soon....but we are now awaiting a replacement modem. go figure, after our long wait for DSL, we were sent a faulty modem that isn't functioning correctly. until we get the new one i have been visiting my blog-friends in blog-world, but i have left very few comments....as my modem likes to kick me out right before the comment is sent! so i've just stopped trying to comment! we should be back in business by the middle of next week!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
1. I can hardly believe it....BUT my first smile is the fact that this is my first blog entry with our DSL installed. Yep...after 3 years of run around and being told that DSL wasn't available at our house, lo and behold, we are in business. (Come to find out...it really was available all along....they'd never actually measured the distance...go figure!) Can I tell you how amazingly easy it is to add pictures to my entries now (and visit other sites too!)!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
wow...tuesday once again. as i shared in sunday's post...our week has been filled with a large number of church events....dessert nights, prayer services, and on and on...what a huge blessing, as they have just refreshed my heart and my focus. life just goes better when my eyes are off of myself and on my Lord. anyway...here are some smiles from our week.
1. orange drop cookies...find the delish recipe on andrea's site (these are SO good..you really should try them!)
2. this site...seriously, can there be anything more precious than daddy reading bedtime stories with his two girls.
3. being a winner in fairlight's "pay it forward"....keep watching for more details, because as part of the deal i will be "paying it forward" to some of my faithful blog reading friends!
4. celebrating God's faithfulness at our all church prayer service saturday evening...and seeking what the next steps are for our church. it is an exciting time. even better, round two of the prayer and worship night tomorrow night...how refreshing!
5. our delightful playdate with our MOPS table this morning...elizabeth got to expend some energy playing with all the other kiddos, and i had some time to sit and knit while enjoying some chat-time with the other moms (who were also working on the crafty project of their choice).
6. a wonderful MOPS meeting...focused on decorating (particularly kid's spaces...but it inspired me more to think of our downstairs...i feel like i've spent lots of time in our room and the girl's rooms...). i discovered uppercase living...a pampered chef-ish business...but related to decorating. i think you have to contact a consultant for full details and access to their site, but check it out at http://www.uppercaseliving.com/
7. making another little pair of shoes for kate...i'm just loving this pattern...simple, cute, and so many options. i don't know if you can tell in this picture, but i actually embellished the bottoms with a decorative stitch...so precious! even better, they actually stay on her feet (and hold those elusive socks on as well!).
8. fellowship with our "crew"...a fab dinner at our "usual" spot (a delish mexican restaurant we typically end up at)...make-your-own pizza afternoon after church sunday...the time together at Bible study, dessert night, prayer service and so on...
9. elizabeth's new fascination with "clipping"...at our flock group friday night she had her first experience with scissors (supervised, of course...no horror stories here!) and LOVED it....yesterday at target i found the CUTEST pair of safety scissors...shaped like a duck, and even better, they quack when they open and close! how cute is that! she used them to make daddy a valentine yesterday!
10. a clean check-out for our little kater at her 6 month appointment friday...she topped the scales at 17 lbs. 7 oz....almost the same weight elizabeth was at her 9 month appointment. gotta love our "little" chunky monkey...no wonder those 6 month clothes were starting to seem tight! :)
Monday, February 11, 2008
Sunday, February 10, 2008
since i'm sure you wanted to know what i "whipped up" this afternoon...here's a glimpse!
found a pattern for these sweet little baby shoes online and had to try! for less than $10 i purchased enough material for 4 or so pairs, the elastic, and even some leather for the soles (of course, no need to use that on these little pre-standing/walking pairs). sure beats the price of a pair of robeez...and this way i can have all kinds of fun colors and designs!
anyway...we went to church this morning and heard a wonderful sermon from the man who is "candidating" to be the new lead pastor at our church (a story in and of itself...bottom line...God is so incredibly faithful...our church has been through a long year of painful, strugglish (i know..not a word!) times...and it is so amazing to be glimpsing pieces of the "good" He has in store for us...and perhaps the beginning of something new). we've been quite busy this week with "meet the candidate" dessert nights, a prayer and worship service last night, and we'll be headed back to church for a question and answer meeting in conjunction with the evening service tonight...and my heart is refreshed. i am so thankful for the church family God has placed us in the midst of. but, anyway...after church we headed to one of our friend's house for homemade pizza (this particular friend happens to be a chef...and he is currently working at a bakery...so, as always, it was good eating!) and some time together with our "group"...or what i lovingly think of as just an extention of our family. then we headed home and i had a chance to whip of these little shoesies while the girls and dad took nice long afternoon naps.
so there you have it...our sunday in a nutshell! hoping you all had a delightful sunday (and saturday too!).
Thursday, February 7, 2008
somebody LOVES her poppy
measuring the dino bones
Well...purple wasn't part of the "official" color hunt...but we searched for some anyway...especially since I would like to create a book with the results of our hunt for the girls. I also must say, the most important purple item around our house these days is Elizabeth's "tabby" blankie (a hand-made Christmas gift from her grandma last year)...seriously...she is wearing out the ribbon "tabs" because she loves it so much. And, of course, we didn't snap a photo of that. But we do have plenty of purple around the house!
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
-your first taste of green beans (and the priceless "grossed out" expression that came with this experience), peas (which you loved), squash, and sweet potatoes
-your first night away from mommy and daddy...a "slumber party" at grandmommy and poppy's house
-sitting up on your own
-rolling over...yep...you finally mastered this one after lots of work!
-your first bath in the big tub...with your big sister (who loved helping wash you!)
-your first venture in outlet shopping! ;)
Kate...you have added so much joy to our home....and noise too! You have a voice, you and aren't afraid to use it. You make noise ALL the time (daddy likes to say you really are your mama's girl!)...screeching, babbling, giggling, and yes, crying at times. Sometimes we can't figure out whether your noise is happy or frustrated!
This month we have discovered just how much you love to hear us sing. The minute we start a song, you turn to find us and your little face just lights up, that big grin spreading from cheek to chubby cheek as you "sing" along in all your glorious noisyness! Elizabeth likes to help "teach" you the motions to our songs. You also love to join in on Elizabeth's nap-time routine...sitting in mommy's lap and helping to turn the pages in each book. I love seeing you study the pictures...reaching out to touch the pages. You still love touching and feeling...especially things that are crinkly and soft.
We are convinced you must be working on your first little tooth...you drool and drool and drool...and chew on anything that gets nearby. Poor girl, you have had a rough few nights with the teething...up a couple times at night...which is unusual for you, as you typically sleep through the night from about 8 pm to 8 am. Speaking of sleeping, you finally seem to have settled into a routine of sorts, napping for an hour and a half or so in the morning and afternoon and an occasional cat-nap in the evening. And (drumroll please) you have finally graduated out of your tight little swaddle....sleeping without your "burrito". You do love to clutch blankie bear in one arm and a soft blankie in the other.
Kate, you are growing so fast...and I am loving each day...savoring the smiles, cuddles, giggles, firsts...dreaming of what tomorrow holds. I LOVE YOU! Happy six months!
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
riding on poppy's shoulders to get a better glimpse of the trains!
1. My husband...who planned a night out for the two of us...complete with a hotel room and everything! He surprised me by asking my parents to watch the girls overnight...so after church we dropped the girls off and enjoyed 24 wonderful hours off...time together...just the two of us. Browsing around downtown and at Borders....a delightful dinner at the Claddaugh...a stop in a chocolate shop....lots of chatting, giggling, resting, and relaxing...a breakfast at Le Peeps (one of our favs--although I don't think I'd been there in over a year)...all in all, a fantastic time...what a terrific early Valentine's surprise!